By Admin, BuyLocalBG.com, BuyLocalBg@gmail.com/
Monday, January 27th, 2014 7:00 AM CST
A well-stocked first-aid kit, kept within easy reach, is a necessity in every home. Having supplies gathered ahead of time will help you handle an emergency at a moment’s notice. You should keep one first-aid kit in your home and one in each car. Also be sure to bring a first-aid kit on family vacations.
You can purchase a first aid kit at Booth Fire and Safety. The following are items a local pediatrician suggested. It’s also a smart move to ask the Booth Fire and Safety Sales team:
- first-aid manual
- sterile gauze pads of different sizes
- adhesive tape
- adhesive bandages in several sizes
- elastic bandage
- a splint
- antiseptic wipes
- antibiotic ointment
- antiseptic solution (like hydrogen peroxide)
- hydrocortisone cream (1%)
- acetaminophen and ibuprofen
- extra prescription medications (if the family is going on vacation)
- sharp scissors
- safety pins
- disposable instant cold packs
- calamine lotion
- alcohol wipes or ethyl alcohol
- tooth preservation kit
- plastic non-latex gloves (at least 2 pairs)
- flashlight and extra batteries
- a blanket
- mouthpiece for administering CPR (can be obtained from your local Red Cross)
- your list of emergency phone numbers
- blanket (stored nearby)
After you’ve stocked your first-aid kits:
- Read the entire first-aid manual so you’ll understand how to use the contents of your kits. (If your kids are old enough to understand, review the manuals with them.)
- Store first-aid kits in places that are out of children’s reach but easily accessible for adults.
- Check the kits regularly. Replace missing items or medicines that may have expired.
- Check the flashlight batteries to make sure they work.
- If you’re flying, be sure to pack the first-aid kit in your checked luggage. Many of the items won’t be permitted in your carry-on bags.
If you have a business or organization that needs help to insure the safety of the people and building itself, your local choice is Booth Fire and Safety. 538 State Street Bowling Green. Call them at 270.781.3330 or check their website out and fan them on facebook.