It’s Autism Awareness Month, which means Spencer’s annual drink specials are back — purchase a Lewis Latte or Owen’s Orange Soda, and $1 from each goes to WKU’s Early Childhood Clinic throughout April.
All children with an ASD are different. Here is a list of possible symptoms that many children with autism exhibit. If your child exhibits any of the following, please don’t delay in asking your pediatrician or family doctor for an evaluation:
- Develops language slowly or not at all
- Does not adjust gaze to look at objects that others are looking at
- Does not refer to self correctly (for example, says “you want water” when the child means “I want water”)
- Does not point to direct others’ attention to objects (occurs in the first 14 months of life)
- Repeats words or memorized passages, such as commercials
- No meaningful, two-word phrases (not including imitating or repeating) by 24 months
- Difficulty with social skills at any age
- Limited or no pretend play
- Have unusual distress when routines are changed
- Prefers to spend time alone, rather than with others
- Has heightened or low senses of sight, hearing, touch, smell, or taste
- Has very narrow interests
Spencer’s Coffeehouse is the only cafe in southcentral Kentucky offering 100% organic, 100% fair-trade coffees from around the globe, hand-roasted for Bowling Green coffee lovers in nearby Louisville. Check them out online or fan them at their facebook page.